PUNKOTTAWA.COM
SHOWS

General: VIEW TOPIC

You are not logged in. Feel free to login or to register a new username.

Subject: ATTN: PEOPLE OF OTTAWA - OSTRACIZE THIS MAN!
Pages: 1 2

: post reply: post new topic

Author: merton fink.
Subject: ATTN: PEOPLE OF OTTAWA - OSTRACIZE THIS MAN!
Date: 09/19/06 7:45 pm

IAN MENDES: TRAITOR

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/ian_mendes/2006/09/15/is_ottawa_canadas_worst_sports/

Ottawa: Canada's worst sports town?

Disclaimer: I am not writing this from Toronto.

I live and work in Ottawa. I do my grocery shopping at Farm Boy, I listen to Lowell Green on the radio, I get frustrated that there is no exit for Bank St. off the Queensway and just like you, I'm wondering when the O-Train will arrive in Barrhaven.

Okay, now that I've firmly established myself as a true resident of Ottawa, I would like to pose a question to you.

Do we live in the worst sports city in the country?

Let's review the facts:

1. We currently have no CFL football team and we have a built-in excuse of perpetually poor ownership.

2. We will lose our Triple-A baseball team next summer because most bridal shows have better attendance.

3. Our NHL team, which has been the most exciting for the past few seasons, has the lowest season ticket base of any Canadian team.

Now before you start throwing your Beaver Tails in my general direction, please read further.

There are thousands of great sports fans in Ottawa. I am not trying to offend those loyal ticket buyers in the city. In terms of die-hard fans, Ottawa certainly has a good core of them. If you are one of those fans, please don't take this personally.

What I'm wondering is: Why are there so few of you out there? Isn't this supposed to be Canada's fourth-largest city?

I can't help but wonder what the situation will be here in a few years when the Senators are no longer an elite team in the NHL. If they have the lowest season ticket base
amongst Canadian teams when they have the most entertaining team, what is going to happen when things take a turn for the worse?

Why in the name of Frank Finnigan are we so finicky?

At times, this city appears too conservative to fully invest the emotion that is needed to fully become a great sports city. Maybe it's because we're a government town and everyone is just used to sitting on the fence on political issues that the same mentality has simply trickled into our sporting tastes as well.

I really wanted say this a few months ago, when the Senators knocked out the Lightning in Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs in April. The atmosphere in Scotiabank Place was eerily silent that night.

Had any other city been on the verge of knocking out an opponent in the Stanley Cup playoffs, they would have been wild and on the edge of their seats. In Ottawa, it was as though everyone in attendance would receive a complimentary root canal if the Senators were victorious.

What gives? Is it just me, or do I live in the worst sports city in Canada?

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 7:53 pm

A few things you should know about Ian Mendes:

- birthplace: Mississauga, Ontario

- after graduating Carleton with a b.a. in journalism in '98, Mendes went to work for the Ottawa Lynx public relations office.

- At about the same time, attendance at Ottawa Lynx games nose-dived

- suited up as "Lenny the Lynx", Ottawa's least favourite mascot on 2 occasions

I ask you this: who is the one with the problem? The ENTIRE CITY OF OTTAWA, or is it IAN MENDES?

http://magazine.carleton.ca/2002_Fall/808.htm

Last edited by merton fink. on 09/19/06 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: Dropkick_jon
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 7:56 pm

I think his argument is pretty solid.

Let's face it, Canada's other big cities are a lot more passionate about their sports teams.

Just look at Toronto! The Leafs suck and yet they still sell out every game and have thousands of fans that would blindly follow them to the grave (so to speak).

Don't blame Ian Mendes for stating the obvious.

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 8:05 pm

I will counter by listing off a list of names... LONNIE & BERNIE GLIEBERMAN, HORN CHEN, BRAD WATTERS, BRUCE FIRESTONE, WHOEVER THE FUCK THOUGHT BASEBALL WAS THE LEAST BIT INTERESTING TO WATCH, and a host of about a dozen other characters who always screwed up the business end of things

And Mendes seems to leave out that the Senators set a franchise record for attendance last season and sold-out more games than they ever have in their history!

And sure, a place like THE GREATER TORONTO REGION which has a population of 6 or so million, and like 4th or 5th largest city in North America shouldn't have too much trouble selling 19,000 tickets per game! It doesn't mean they're more passionate!

I can admit Montreal is more passionate about hockey, sure. So is Vancouver, they rioted when they lost the cup. It showed good character. But to hear a Mississaugan piece of trash like Ian Mendes talk down to our city, to bite the hand that feeds him, the city that made him the B-Rate television personality that he is, thats asking too much!

This is treason! We can all redeem ourselves by running this Mendes guy out of town and sending him back where he came from!

Last edited by merton fink. on 09/19/06 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: ProfessorChaos
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 8:06 pm

"If they have the lowest season ticket base amongst Canadian teams when they have the most entertaining team..."

ummmm.....Absolutely NOT.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: matthewwhatever
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 8:29 pm

merton fink. wrote:

- after graduating Carleton with a b.a. in journalism in '98, Mendes went to work for the Ottawa Lynx public relations office.

Actually, it took a dive even before that...but not before the team set an attendance record in its second year (1993 or 1994, I believe). I'm not really a sports fan, so I can't argue one way or another, but it's not like Ottawa can't support sports...they just choose not to for a variety of reasons...

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: allanxo
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 8:53 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
"If they have the lowest season ticket base amongst Canadian teams when they have the most entertaining team..."

ummmm.....Absolutely NOT.

During the regular season, no other Canadian hockey team is "more" exciting to watch.

I no you went out to watch their 1st pre-season game tonight. Yeah.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: phil
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 9:37 pm

fuck his arguments, he actually wrote: 'what in the name of frank finnigan?' what is THAT?

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: LeCoach
Subject:
Date: 09/19/06 9:43 pm

first off he seems like a douche.

30% of the city likes the leafs(uber shitty)

If the sens didnt play in kanata there would be way more season ticket holders.

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 1:48 am

matthewwhatever wrote:
merton fink. wrote:

Actually, it took a dive even before that...but not before the team set an attendance record in its second year (1993 or 1994, I believe). I'm not really a sports fan, so I can't argue one way or another, but it's not like Ottawa can't support sports...they just choose not to for a variety of reasons...

The main reason for that is baseball sucks and its really boring

In my opinion Mendes can't be held 100% accountable, its probably more like 75% accountable, he was the nail in the coffin

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 1:51 am

Also, I admit I've never been much of a fan of Ian Mendes. He has this cocky smugness to him thats irritated me for a couple of years now. Like when he's interviewing Mike Fisher, he's probably thinking "i'm so much better than you, i have a bachelor of journalism, your just a guy who skates around and shoots rubber discs into nets" The guy knows nothing about hockey, he has no clue what he's doing, he should really be working for CJOH doing those newsclips on senior citizens who are defying all the odds and being productive in life

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 2:19 am

phil wrote:
fuck his arguments, he actually wrote: 'what in the name of frank finnigan?' what is THAT?

You can tell Mendes is an OTTAWA VALLEY POSER!

The guy goes on wikipedia, looks up "ottawa sports history" and just name-drops random Ottawa sports legends to make it seem like he's got Ottawa street cred

Fuck that Ian Mendes, he's a bitch

[ Reply with quote ]

Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 2:22 am

I know nothing about the internet, but is it possible that someone can hook me up with a free website called "Ostracize-Ian-Mendes.com"? Is it possible to do this for free?

I'll go on there, start a petition, make up some fake ian mendes quotes (ie "Hitler had a good idea, his problem was how he executed his plan"~Ian Mendes), and upload blog after blog of me shit talking him ruthlessly, ripping his character apart, until it gets picked up by the news media. That's when then the Ian Mendes smear campaign will really take off!

Lets run this Mississauga hick Ian Mendes straight out of town

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: selfinflicted
Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 2:39 am

I agree...Ottawa sports does suck.
Plently of people tune in at the bars and at home but most don't make it out the games as much as the big cities. maybe it has to do with the public transportation. I think when the o-train is in full-effect the crowd attendance will start to grow. it will really open up the suburbs.

I think he's exaggerating a bit to make a point but we ottawans do need a kick in the ass and get behind our sports teams a bit more.

[ Reply with quote ]

Author: stephanetheman
Subject:
Date: 09/20/06 7:44 am

who cares

maybe the people of ottawa have other interests and aren't really into going to see a game. again, who cares, its an interest / hobby. move on.

whats next ? is he going to get mad at ottawa for not liking the color blue or not liking brocoli ?

[ Reply with quote ]

: post reply: post new topic

Pages: 1 2